Skip to main content

Study Simplified and Traditional Chinese Characters

Simplified and traditional characters

What's the difference between simplified and traditional Chinese? 

Well the biggest difference is the appearance of the characters, for example:  爱, 不过, 担心, 说 these are all written in simplified Chinese, meanwhile the following are in traditional Chinese: 愛, 不過, 擔心, 說.
They all have the same meaning, only their appearance and amount of strokes changes. Another thing that changes is where they are used, simplified Chinese is mainly used in mainland China, Singapore, and Malaysia, meanwhile traditional Chinese it's used in Taiwan, Hong Kong (Cantonese) and Macau. 

Simplified Chinese was created in 1949 to improve China's literacy rate, the amount of characters that change between both systems is around 2,000, but it is still possible to learn both. 

My experience with both systems 

I first started to learn Traditional Chinese and I have been learning it for around 2 and half years, then six months ago I started to learn simplified, because I wanted to get my HSK certificate, and it's been quite a journey. 
At first, I was struggling because traditional Chinese uses more characters and when I was learning simplified, sometimes I didn't understand why this character was there, one day I realized that simplified reuses the same characters, by this I mean that two characters from traditional, use the same simplified character, in that moment everything started to make sense.

Tips for learning both 

My golden rule is to always prefer one over the other, whichever you choose that's going to be the one in which you are always making progress, learning new vocabulary, putting your subtitle in, etc. in my case I focus on traditional because it's the one I use in my classes. 
Then with the other one what you are going to do is substituting, for example: if you learned a lot of new vocabulary in traditional Chinese you are going to look for its equivalent in simplified, then you are going to write it down, if you have time It's always better to look for its stroke pattern. 

Another really important thing is to add your vocabulary into an Anki deck (a flashcard App), in one side you put the character in simplified Chinese and in the other use traditional and the more you review, the faster your brain will create a connection, and understand that their meaning is the same, and after sometime you will be able to read at the same level in both systems.

You also need to look for different ways to use each system, for example: I use traditional in my classes,  to read poems and subtitles, meanwhile I use simplified Chinese in the HSK books, in 小红书, and to read novels.

You should also try to focus on the components of the characters, for example in the words: 說/说 話/话 謊/谎 the one thing that changes is the part of the character: 言, so from this you can know that most character that have 言 will change, and this happens with a lot of different characters.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The key to remember characters

Chinese Characters Chinese language has something quite especial about it; you are probably already thinking about its main difference from other languages, and it's one of the differences that make Chinese quite different from western languages. This difference I'm mentioning is the fact that it doesn't have an alphabet; instead it has characters. There is not an exact quantity of Chinese characters, it's belief that there are around 7000 different characters. But in reality only 2500 to 3500 characters are used, which is still a lot, but there's no reason to fear them, because they are actually quite interesting and filled with history. How to remember characters  The following tips come from my own experience which might work for you, but it's important to mention that everybody is different, in my case I have a good memory which has really helped me, but as I move through the intermediate level I'm starting to need more study hours. Immersion, the reason...

Manhuas, a game changer for improving your reading

How to use Manhuas to practice Chinese Improving your reading skills There are many ways to improve your Chinese skills, but when it comes to reading it's all about practice and constant immersion in the Chinese language, there are a lot of different resources that you can try like: books, articles, newspapers but the one I'm going to be focusing on this blog is practicing your reading through Manhuas (which are basically comics). Where can you find Manhuas? So there are a lot of different places where you can find them, for example if you want a physical copy you can find some on Amazon, but there's not a lot of variety, so the best options will be to read them online: there are some platforms that you can use for example: bilibili 漫画  or Webtoon , these two are both web platforms and Apps, so you can use them in the format that you prefer.  They are both free and quite easy to use, they quite similar, but the content in each one is quite different, another thing that is...

有面子什麼意思?

 The meaning of "Have face"  You probably have heard the question 你有沒有面子? or some variation of it. This expression is really popular, and it's often used in TV shows, videos, movies, etc. The direct translations of 面子 is face, but in most cases that's not the meaning that they are referring to. In most cases this expression refers to someone's reputation, honor or pride. But depending on the situation, the meaning can slightly change.  Common Phrases  To care about your reputation / have a reputation   - 有面子 : To have a reputation. This reputation has been giving to you because of the power you hold or your place in society.  -面子很大 : To be well respected by people (have a big reputation). Usually this expression refers to someone that's famous, rich or simply someone that's perceived positively by people. -愛面子 : Someone who really cares about their reputation and they are constantly trying to protect it.  -要面子 : Someone who is constantly protecting th...