Skip to main content

Resources to learn chinese

How to practice Chinese outside your classroom 

Learning Chinese is a long process, and the rate in which you improve at, not only depends on the effort you put in your Chinese class, it  also depends on how much practice you get outside your classroom, that’s why you need to immerse yourself in the language.

First let's talk about language immersion, by this I mean getting constant exposure to Chinese language, there are different types of immersion but this time I'm going to focus on intensive immersion and free flow immersion, the first one is Intensive immersion in this one you analyze what it is being said and research the things that you don't know, meanwhile in free flow immersion you continue getting the exposure of your target language even though you don't understand everything. 

If you want to learn more about language immersion, I recommend checking refold.la 


Reading Resources 

Learning to read characters can be challenging, but you need to be constantly exposed to them so that you can easily recognize them, and for this I recommended the following:
Flash Cards: Use an App like AnkiApp so that you can review the vocabulary. 
Graded Level Books: I recommend Mandarin Companion Books, they have a broad selection of interesting books for each level. 
Apps:Du Chinese, this app has a lot of graded level stories, and it has translations in case you don't understand something, M Mandarin this App has graded level comics of a lot of compelling topics, finally I recommend Easy Chinese News in this app you can read real life news and translate them, you can even take some HSK practice tests in here.

Listening resources

Listening can be quite hard because a lot of words sound similar, and it is hard to differentiate the tones, this is why we need to be constantly practicing.

Podcasts: Listening to Podcasts is a great way to improve your listening skills, I recommend listening to a Podcast with a Patreon, so that you can download the vocabulary they used in the episode you're listening to, the following are some of my favorite podcasts in Spotify: Talk to me in Chinese by Candice X, Chillchat by Chilling Chinese, Mandarin with Nana by Nana Nie, and Smart Mandarin Podcast by Katrina Lee.

Watching Shows: You will probably not be able to fully understand everything, and you will need to add subtitles, but I recommend adding them in Chinese so that you can also practice reading. I usually use this as free flow immersion, I recommend the following:

Netflix: Accidentally in love, The rational life, Wish Dragon, Well-intended Love, Sexy Central, Find Yourself, Triad Princess.

We TV: This is a Chinese platform with a lot of free shows, and cartoons. 


Resources for Speaking and Writing

For speaking, I recommend shadowing a native speaker. By this, I mean listening to native speakers and then trying to emulate their pronunciation.
For writing, I recommend practicing constantly and following the correct strokes, there is no cheat sheet for writing, it's all about practice.

I hope you found this helpful and for more resources check out my Instagram.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The key to remember characters

Chinese Characters Chinese language has something quite especial about it; you are probably already thinking about its main difference from other languages, and it's one of the differences that make Chinese quite different from western languages. This difference I'm mentioning is the fact that it doesn't have an alphabet; instead it has characters. There is not an exact quantity of Chinese characters, it's belief that there are around 7000 different characters. But in reality only 2500 to 3500 characters are used, which is still a lot, but there's no reason to fear them, because they are actually quite interesting and filled with history. How to remember characters  The following tips come from my own experience which might work for you, but it's important to mention that everybody is different, in my case I have a good memory which has really helped me, but as I move through the intermediate level I'm starting to need more study hours. Immersion, the reason...

Manhuas, a game changer for improving your reading

How to use Manhuas to practice Chinese Improving your reading skills There are many ways to improve your Chinese skills, but when it comes to reading it's all about practice and constant immersion in the Chinese language, there are a lot of different resources that you can try like: books, articles, newspapers but the one I'm going to be focusing on this blog is practicing your reading through Manhuas (which are basically comics). Where can you find Manhuas? So there are a lot of different places where you can find them, for example if you want a physical copy you can find some on Amazon, but there's not a lot of variety, so the best options will be to read them online: there are some platforms that you can use for example: bilibili 漫画  or Webtoon , these two are both web platforms and Apps, so you can use them in the format that you prefer.  They are both free and quite easy to use, they quite similar, but the content in each one is quite different, another thing that is...

有面子什麼意思?

 The meaning of "Have face"  You probably have heard the question 你有沒有面子? or some variation of it. This expression is really popular, and it's often used in TV shows, videos, movies, etc. The direct translations of 面子 is face, but in most cases that's not the meaning that they are referring to. In most cases this expression refers to someone's reputation, honor or pride. But depending on the situation, the meaning can slightly change.  Common Phrases  To care about your reputation / have a reputation   - 有面子 : To have a reputation. This reputation has been giving to you because of the power you hold or your place in society.  -面子很大 : To be well respected by people (have a big reputation). Usually this expression refers to someone that's famous, rich or simply someone that's perceived positively by people. -愛面子 : Someone who really cares about their reputation and they are constantly trying to protect it.  -要面子 : Someone who is constantly protecting th...